Thursday, January 27, 2011

The God of the Aged - Peculiar Blessedness

I want to share a portion of a sermon I read just the other night entitled,
                                        The God of the Aged
                                          by C.H. Spurgeon

      The text of the sermon is,
"And even to  your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you."   -- Isaiah 46:4 

     The topic of this portion is on the Peculiar Blessedness of the aged saint. In the portions just prior to this, Mr. Spurgeon brought attention to the differences in some of the goals, hopes, and planning that there is between the young, the middle-aged, and the aged. To the aged, their goal is not to rear up a family, nor is it to embark in some business or profession: they have lived, and shall soon be where their hope truly rests, with Christ.
     The sweet fellowship that an aged saint has experienced with their Master is something that has only sweetened with the passing of time; and something that can only be attained with the passing of time. The only thing that they would have any regrets over, would be sin. They are not so apt to fear or doubt His promises; because they're tried promises, and He that promised has proved Himself faithful.
     These are things that I, as a young man, can only anticipate: to grow closer and more dependent upon the Lord; to trust His leading and His promises; to go first, foremost, and only unto His counsel. It is a journey that many have made, that many are currently making, and that many shall soon be ending, thus arriving at that desired country, where it is promised, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."

May God bless you, wherever you are in life.

"" And now, once more, old age hath its peculiar blessedness. Some time ago, I stepped up to an old man whom I saw when preaching at an anniversary, and I said to him, "Brother, do you know there is no man in the whole chapel I envy so much as you!" "Envy me," he said, "why, I am eighty-seven." I said, "I do, indeed; because you are so near your home, and because I believe that in old age there is a peculiar joy, which we young people do not taste at present. You have got to the bottom of the cup, and it is not with God's wine as it is with man's. Man's wine becomes dregs at the last, but God's wine is sweeter the deeper you drink of it." He said, "That's very true, young man," and shook me by the hand. I believe there is a blessedness of old age that we young people know nothing of. I will tell you how that is. In the first place, the old man has a good experience to talk about. The young men are only just trying some of the promises; but the old man can turn them over one by one, and say, "There, I have tried that, and that, and that." We read them over and say, "I hope they are true," but the old man says, "I know they are true." And then he begins to tell you why. He has got a history for every one, like a soldier for his medals; and he takes them out and says, "I will tell you when the Lord revealed that to me: just when I lost my wife; just when I buried my son; just when I was turned out of my cottage, and did not get work for six weeks; or, at another time, when I broke my leg." He begins telling you the history of the promises, and says, "There, now, I know they are all true." What a blessed thing, to look upon them as paid notes; to bring out the old checks that have been cashed, and say, "I know they are genuine, or else they would not have been paid." Old people have not the doubts young people have about the doctrines. Young people are apt to doubt; but when they get old, they begin to get solid and firm in the faith. I love to get some of my old brethren to talk with me concerning the good things of the kingdom. They do not hold the truth with their two fingers, as some young men do; but they get right hold of it, and nobody can take it from their grasp. Rowland Hill once somewhat lost his way in a sermon, and he turned to this text--"O Lord, my heart is fixed." "Young men," he said, "there is nothing like having your heart fixed. I never have any doubts now about election, or any other doctrine. If man brings me a new theory, I say, 'Away with it!' I stand hard and fast by the truth alone." ""

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting, that is great. Just the verse alone is very sweet. I don't know how I have read over that verse before without it jumping out at me, because it is precious.

    ReplyDelete